The challenge is simple – read some books from the list! If you don’t own the actual book, you can find a simple list online. For the most basic, check out the Listology list. There are spreadsheets outs there that you can look at too that are more complex.
High Schoo Diplomal: 5 books from the list
Bachelor’s Degree: 6-10 books from the list
Master’s Degree: 11-15 books from the list:
Challenge runs January 1 2011 – Decemeber 31 2011.
You don’t have to make a list beforehand.
You can use any version of the list, not just the current, since they update it every couple years
Hosted by/Link: Pub Writes - 1001 Books to Read Before You Die
Challenge Start and Ends Dates: January 1, 2011 - December 31, 2011
My Progress: 16/16 - Completed November 27, 2011
I have the 2010 edition of the book, so I'm going to attempt the PHd. version of this. I also have lists of the other two editions, which I will likely use to.
1) Kidnapped - Robert Louis Stevenson
2) Unless - Carol Shields
3) The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
4) Alice's Adventure's in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass - Lewis Carroll
5) Alias Grace - Margaret Atwood
6) Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen
7) Never Let Me Go - Kazou Ishiguro
8) The Awakening - Kate Chopin
9) Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut
10) A Farewell to Arms - Ernest Hemingway
11) The Invisible Man - H.G. Wells
12) The Garden Party and Other Stories - Katherine Mansfield
13) The Castle of Otranto - Horace Walpole
14) Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man - James Joyce
15) We - Yevgeny Zamyatin
16 Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
I managed to knock 16 more books of the list, which still hasn't put much of a dent into the list, but Im scratching the surface. I think my favourite book I rad was Alias Grace or Unless both of those books I highly recommend. I'd also recommend the Garden Party and We. I was also happy with the range of books I read, I managed to read books from the 18th century, up to the present sci-fi, horror and contemporary literature - there really is something for everyone on the list.