January 3, 2011

11 in 11

Challenge Summary:
This group is for anyone who would like to read books from 11 different categories in 2011. The number of books per category is entirely up to you, and it need not be the same number for each category (e.g., "step" challenges are fine)!

The challenge will "officially" begin on January 1, 2011, but earlybirds and latecomers are welcome!

Once you get started, refer to the "Challenge Tagging" thread (http://www.librarything.com/topic/97189) and tag your books; that way we can all see what you're reading and be inspired!

Share recommendations, be nice, and have fun!

Hosted by/Link: LibraryThing - Group 11 in 11

Challenge Start and Ends Dates: January 1, 2011 - December 31, 2011

My Progress:  102/121 - FAILED - 84% Complete

My List:

CATEGORIES

1 - War Time Fiction
2 - I've Been Meaning to Read You (Books I've been meaning to read, but never had time)
3 - Asian and Middle Eastern Fiction
4 - 1, 2, 3, SERIES (books that are part of a series)
5 - Women Kick Butt! (Women Writers)
6 - And the Winner Is…. (Award Winners)
7 - You Look Familiar (Books by Authors I've read before)
8 - It Cam From the Library (Library Books)
9 - Cross Country Reading (Books from 11 different provinces or territories in Canada)
10 - Put Out the Fire, and Read the Book! (Banned/Challenged Books)
11 - Premier Classic Books (11 Books from a Set of 51 Classic Novels I Own)


War Time Fiction (*11 books from 11 different Wars) 5/11

1) WWI - The Sojourn - Andrew Krivak
2) WWII - Wings: A Novel of World War II Flygirls - Karl Friedrich
3) VIETNAM WAR
4) CIVIL WAR - The Red Badge of Courage - Stephen Crane
5) FRENCH REVOLUTION WAR
6) RUSSIAN REVOLUTION WAR
7) SPANISH CIVIL WAR
8) OPIUM WARS
9) CIVIL WAR - My Name is Mary Sutter - Robin Oliveira
10) NAPOLEONIC WARS
11) WWII - Beautiful Assassin - Michael White

BONOUS - FANTASY WARS
Substitute War - Korean
* I have changed this as of August to any type of War Time Fiction due to time constraints.


I've Been Meaning To Read You, But…. (Books I've said I'd read/want to read, but never find the time) - 10/11


Asian and Middle Eastern Fiction (8/11)
9
10
11


1, 2, 3 - Series! (Books that are part of a series) - 11/11


Women Kick Butt! (Women Writers) 11/11


And the Winner Is …. (Books that have won awards) - 10/11
1 - National Book Award - Cold Mountain - Charles Frazier
2 - CBA Libris Fiction Book of the Year - Three Day Road - Joseph Boyden
3 - Commonwealth Writers' Prize for Best Book - Room - Emma Donoghue
4 - 2010 Aurora Award Best Long Form in English - Wake - Robert J. Sawyer
5 - 2009 Costa Award - Brooklyn - Colm Toibin
6 - 2010 Man Booker Prize - The Finkler Question - Howard Jacobson
7 - 2011 Giller Prize - Half-Blood Blues - Esi Edugyan
9 - 2007 Ken/Nami Award - Halfway House - Katharine Noel
11


You Look Familiar … (Author's I've read in the past) 11/11


It Came From The Library (Library Books) 11/11
8 - The Irish Princess - Karen Harper


Cross Country Reading (Books from 11 different provinces or territories in Canada) (10/11)
1 - Nova Scotia - The Birth House - Ami McKay
4 - Prince Edward Island - Anne of Green Gables - L.M. Mongomery
5 - Northwest Territories - Late Nights on the Air - Elizabeth Hay
7 -Newfoundland & Labrador - Annabel - Kathleen Winter
8 - British Columbia - The Jade Peony - Wayson Choy
11
BONUS - Read remaining 2 provinces/territories.


Put Out the Fire, and Read the Book (Banned/Challenged Books) 6/11
8
9
10
11


Premier Classic Books (11 Books from a Set of 51 Classic Novels I Own) 7/11
8
9
10
11


Final Thoughts

So I did pretty good with this challenge, despite the fact I failed it. My hardest category was War Time Fiction, finding books for 11 different books was hard (more because of the availability of the books where I am, not lack of books written), which is why I changed it part way through. The other three categories that I didn't finish off were books that I want to read, but either not in the mood, or could have been used in multiple categories. Many books in Premier Classics and Banned Books often crossed over. So I kept putting them off. I am geared up for the 12 in 12 challenge. And for the most part I altered categories to make them a little easier to complete. The hardest part of this challenge is in the beginning, when you have books that could go in multiple categories, and which one to place it in.

No response to “11 in 11”

Post a Comment