January 5, 2012

Short Stories Challenge

Challenge Summary:

Rules:

• Challenge runs from January 1, 2012 to December 31st, 2012. You can join anytime.
• Books from other challenges count as long as they are a collection of short stories.
 • Books can be children's, middle-grade, YA and adult fiction and non-fiction.
 • Write a post and link it below including the URL to that sign-up post.

 Levels:
• Tell me a Story: 1 to 3 books.
• Stories Abound: 4 to 6 books.
• Tales Galore: 7 to 9 books
• Anthology Supreme: 10 to 12 books.

Hosted by/Link: Library of Clean Reads. Short Stories Challenge

Challenge Start and Ends Dates: January 1, 2012 - December 31, 2012

My Progress: 12/12  - Completed July 31, 2012

My List:

1) The Lost Salt Gift of Bood - Alistair MacLeod
2) Selected Short Stories - Virginia Woolf
3) Agassiz Stories - Sandra Birdsell
4) The Penguin Book of Scottish Short Stories
5) La Grosse Fifi - Jean Ryhs
6) Stones - Timothy Findley
7) Storm Glass - Jane Urquhart
8) Mennonites Don't Dance - Darcie Friesen Hossack
9) Who Do You Think You Are? Alice Munro
10) Street of Riches - Gabrielle Roy
11) Light Lifting - Alexander MacLeod
12) This Cake is for the Party - Sarah Seleky

Final Thoughts

I'm surprised on how fast I finished this challenge. I thought it would be one of the challenge that would be with me until the end, but I found my self absouletly enjoying these short story collections. I know I'll read more before the years end, and I look forward to reading more by some of the authors I read for the challenge. I would tell you some of my favourites, but for the most part these collections were wonderful. I mostly stuck with single author works, so perhaps next time I'll branch out to multiple authors in an anthology. Also, it seems that for the most part, I stuck with a very Canadian themed short story collections as 9/12 books are by Canadian Authors. All in all an excellent challenge!


5 Responses to “Short Stories Challenge”

Laura Fabiani said...

Hi Jules,
I'm so excited you're joining me on this challenge. Wow! You're going for the Anthology Supreme. I look forward to reading your reviews.

Jules said...

Thanks for stoping by! I had a personal goal this year to read more short stories, so I went for the big one!

vb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
vb said...

I am not into short stories and this is the best part for me to explore this horizon..Iam going for Stories abound..

http://booksformee.blogspot.in/2012/06/jules-2012-short-story-challenge.html

Laura Fabiani said...

Hi Jules,
Congrats on completing this challenge! I started two short story collections and couldn't finish either because of the content. I finally completed Conjugations of the Verb to Be, which I liked. Short Story collections are harder for me to read hence the reason I started this challenge. I have a few more on my bookshelf that I hope to get to before the year's end. Thanks again for participating!

Post a Comment